Thursday, November 12, 2009

October/November so far

I forgot to post the book list update last month, and this month is somewhat swamped by Nanowrimo (I am waaaay far behind), so this may be it for November. We'll see...

47. Steel Remains - Richard K. Morgan...Ooooooo, Takeshi Kovacs as a queer highborn soldier who saved the world from a conquering race in a world where queers are outlawed. Good stuff. Aquaphilic, you should definitely check this one out.
46. The Warrior's Princess - Barbara Erskine
45. Hawkspar - Holly Lisle
44. Talyn - Holly Lisle
43. Fallen - Tim Lebbon. This was an interesting fantasy story, that had great pacing and suspense and everything and Then.Just.Ended. Very unsatisfactorily I might add. I was getting worried because I was getting towards the end and I couldn't figure out how there was enough space to resolve everything. Now I know. It just didn't get resolved. Bah!
42. Iron Kissed - Patricia Briggs
October/November

I haven't forgotten my promise to write more about Still Alice and Oxygen, as alluded to in my last post. But the truth is, it's now been two months since I read them, and I think I should just content myself with stating this: these two books gave me faith that there is hope for scientists as fiction writers, particular important since the first example of the breed that I'd read was indescribably bad. And I've read some bad stuff in my time. So...if you're ever in doubt whether those of us who spend the majority of our time writing scientific papers can actually string together any readable fiction, rest assured that we can. Well, some of us can - I make no promises about my own ventures into fiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment